Members are appointed to the Board in accordance with the provisions set out in Section 3 of the Geographical Names Act 1966. The Act allows for a total of nine members, four of which are those people who hold the office of, or are a respective nominee of:
- the Surveyor General of NSW
- the Director General of the Department of Planning and Infrastructure
- the State Librarian and
- an officer of the Land and Property Information (LPI) nominated by the General Manager of LPI.
The remaining five positions are nominated by:
- the governing bodies of the Local Government Association of New South Wales and the Shires Association of New South Wales (joint nomination)
- the governing body of the Royal Australian Historical Society
- the governing body of the Geographical Society of New South Wales
- the New South Wales Aboriginal Land Council
- the Chairperson of the Community Relations Commission.
These members are appointed by the Governor and hold office for a period not longer than five years. They are also eligible for re-appointment after the completion of their respective term.
The following people are appointed as Board members or attend Board meetings as at 30 January 2015.
|Mr Des Mooney - Chairman||Surveyor General of NSW|
|Mr Paul Harcombe||Deputy Surveyor General of NSW, Land and Property Information|
|Dr Emma Power||Geographical Society of New South Wales|
|Mr Richard Neville||State Library|
|Cr Julie Hegarty||Local Government NSW|
|Mr Felice Montrone OAM||Multicultural NSW (formerly Community Relations Commission)|
|Dr Terry Kass||Royal Australian Historical Society|
|Mr Marcus Ray||Department of Planning and Infrastructure|
|Mr Phil Duncan||NSW Aboriginal Land Council|
|Dr Peter Orlovich||Historical issues|
|Dr Jakelin Troy||Language issues|
|Ms Julie Christie||Addressing issues|
|Mr Graham Chapman||Emergency Services|
|Mr Stephen Albin||Development Issues|